Saturday, September 8, 2007

3. No-show

Sometimes I can be such a flake.

This morning we woke up at 6, showered and got ready, dug out any semblance of an identification tag we could find for each of the dogs, and dashed out the door for the Pawswalk. We were running a little late, but we hit the McDonald's drive thru and arrived in Redmond only about 15 minutes after we were supposed to meet the Flickr Dogs team.

For some reason, maybe because I have a serious cold, or maybe because the sun was brighter than usual and refracting in blinding patterns off my sludgy windshield, everything looked wrong to me. I've been to Marymoor multiple times this summer, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out where the entrance to the park was, or where the offleash area was once we were inside. We finally found the back entrance to the offleash park at 8:00, parked, and began walking through the park to the main lot.

I had called my team members repeatedly to find out where to meet them, and by the time we arrived, they had already checked in and moved on to the vendor booths. We headed up the road where they told us to meet them. Only after walking almost 10 minutes, all I could see was a soccer tournament. There was no sign of a dog related event anywhere.

I called again and described where I was, to the Flickr gang's confusion. They knew the park well and couldn't recall any soccer fields or rock climbing areas like I described. They eventually figured out I was describing Marymoor, not Magnusen. After 3 months of checking the Pawswalk website multiple times a week, and more recently reviewing it in detail for the schedule of events, I never once realized I was misreading Magnusen as Marymoor.

I don't even know where Magnusen is. I don't like that park much, so I've only been there twice I think. I was having trouble breathing because my cold has settled into my chest, and I just didn't feel up to hunting for another dog park. So I told them I wasn't coming. We were already at a park, and our dogs were having a pretty fantastic morning just running around. They let me off the phone in a kind of exasperated, you're an idiot kind of way. But whatever.

I'm just not good with events and itineraries, and making plans so far in advance. I like to do things as they suit my mood. And today, standing there in the middle of a field soaking in the sunshine, I felt really happy.

We did manage to raise $230 for Paws, counting the two matched contributions from my work. By not showing up, we saved the $25 out of each of our donation funds that would have been designated to t-shirts and bandanas for our dogs, so that's $50 that won't be wasted on something silly.

I guess I'm not that upset with myself. I do feel flakey. I let down some strangers, but I feel like I made my dog's morning. I'll take Frank's happiness over theirs any day of the week.

No comments: