Wednesday, October 10, 2007

12. Damn the Man

After getting my annual review yesterday, I'm feeling really upset with my job. I had a very nice review, and I got the 4% raise I hoped for.
I was informed, however, that my interpersonal saavy needs improvement. I have never gotten a needs improvement on anything the entire time I have worked here. In the past year, I feel I have not only done what was expected of me, but gone above and beyond my job description. I have helped out with outside projects, and I get along with everyone except for one particular muffin breathed douche-bag who I no longer have any interaction with. According to my current and previous supervisors, they want me doing more project work and being more involved with other departments. Frankly, I find this assessment to be incredibly insulting. Rather than encourage me to branch out and mold myself into the corporate monkey they so desperately want me to be, I feel compelled to shut down completely and do the absolute bare minimum I need to get by.
What is so wrong with coming to work and doing the job I was hired to do? I want nothing more than to be left alone, responsible for no one but myself, where things were quiet and happy, and I could be productive.
To make things worse, we're moving to new cubicles next week, and I found out yesterday that I will not be sitting next to my comrade in arms as I was promised I would be. I had one simple request, which I know they were capable of accomodating, and they choose to deny it after promising me that it was no problem. Instead, I get a shitty end cube next to the other idiot in my work group, who I have mentally labeled "Catty Matty", and across from a truly obnoxious new hire who is to dense to realize he should leave me alone. Not only will I be babysitting Mr. Matty to be sure he's doing his job, picking up his slack, and spending 8 hours a day fuming over his general incompetence, but I'll be forced to listen to the inane ramblings of a teardrop tattooed, hood-rat-wanna-be mama's boy who already pesters me as much as possible via email from the opposite side of the room. I can only imagine the mind-numbing conversations I have to look forward to. My only hope is that I can turn my headphones up so loud my eardrums actually burst, thus saving me from the aural torture that is soon to consume a third of my existence.
All of this wonderful news comes riding in on the coattails of a particularly sweet job opening upstairs, which my dearest friend is beyond qualified for. Should he get it (which I hope very much for his sake that he does), I will be left stranded in a sea of mentally defunct and egocentric rejects.

I have to get out of this department.

1 comment:

Françoise de Fleur said...

That's some bullshit right thurrr.

I, however, like your descriptive naming of the hood-rat co-worker.

Though I'm sure it would be rad for Soren to get the other job, I hope for your sake that he doesn't so you at least can have your partner in crime in the same department. :(