Saturday, March 22, 2008

32. Hats Off

or... "Butch Cassidy and the Sunset Cabernet":

On a mission for a bottle of wine this evening, I found myself staring into the face of The Hustler himself. It would seem Paul Newman has dipped his continually expanding tentacles into the depths of wine crafting. The man is quietly taking over the world, methinks.

In all honesty, I've been a fan of most of Paulie's products. He makes a pretty tasty pasta sauce, and I can't complain about his spelt flour pretzel nuggs. My only real complaint has been his organic mints. They're too sweet and not bitey enough, which leaves me feeling like I'm eating chalk rather than a breath mint. Cool tin though. The wintergreen polar bear reminds me of Soren, and green is my favorite color.

Anyway, I decided to give it a try. I'm not usually a brand name kind of girl when it comes to wine, but the Cabernet Sauvignon was on sale for $12.99, when it regularly sells for $18.99. Mass-produced can often equal no bueno, but I do enjoy a Francis Ford Coppola bottle every now and again, so I thought I'd give it a go.

For the price, I'm pretty pleased. I don't know if it's $19 good, but it's certainly a value for $13. At first taste, it's tannic and spicy. After a little time to breathe, the edge begins to loosen and the fruit steps into the spotlight. Overall, I like the oakiness and the fruit is plump. I tend to avoid wines heavy in the cherry flavors, but this one lingers more in raspberry land. Matt puckered up, claiming it was too sweet. But his taste is made for whiskey, and whiskey is made for putting hair on one's chest...

I'd rate this at least an 88 by Wine Spectator standards, if I were to try and guess. It's not stand out or terribly unique. It kind of reminds me a bit of Gnarly Head. At least, that's the most recent similarity I've had. But I think it's a solid buy, if you're looking for something to drink just because (which I always am). I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if it were on sale. I'm down half a bottle and contemplating whether I should finish it off.

It's Saturday. Do we need anymore reason for drunkenness?

5 comments:

Françoise de Fleur said...

Mmmmm, Cool Hand Luke. Why doesn't he have vegetarian hard-boiled eggs? Ha!

Janieac said...

I love me some of his vodka sauce; actually, pretty much every one of his sauces that don't contain meats. And his salad dressings are the shiz. Particularly the light raspberry walnut. Mmmm.

Yay wine blog!

Although, I'm not sure how it's supposed to make Soren feel; assimilating his likeness to a mint green polar bear.

Dexter Obvious said...

Soren is a polar bear. I tell him all the time.

Janieac said...

Well, yes. But mint green?!t

Dexter Obvious said...

No, the mints were wintergreen, with a green tin. And green is my favorite color.
Unrelated.