Saturday, May 3, 2008

37. Art Thief

Some people collect things like commemorative plates, or baseball cards, or other items which may attain some form of monetary value later on. Despite the appearance of my home, I hate any form of clutter, or clinging to items which serve no purpose. Unless those items happen to be so entirely awesome that their uselessness is canceled out by their coolness, like my turquoise rotary phone. The phone is actually still functional, except that I had my land line shut off, leaving it to exist as nothing more than a conversation piece. Though, I'm not sure it would even spawn a terribly interesting conversation. But it's really cool, so I don't care.

What I do collect is random images found lying around the internets. They tend to be pieces of art which I'd love to own in real life but couldn't possibly afford, or scribblings I just liked enough to save and look at occasionally. Most of them I saved and have no idea who the artist even is, or where I found them, as a great deal of them came up on really random image searches. I could probably figure it out, but I'm not going to bother right now.

These are some of my favorites:


This one I found posted on some modern design blog, but I don't remember what it was in reference to.


This one I believe, came from Flickr. I have it saved as "Robot Parade", but I have no idea if that was the actual title, or just what I saved the file as. I love the perspective, and saved him as an inspiration for possible future robot creations.


This is by an artist named Tim Biedron. It's called "Samuel and His New Haircut". I am particularly fond of the colors on his paintings, and the twisted proportions of the faces.


This is also by Tim Biedron. He does a lot of drawings and paintings, but he's also a tattoo artist. I love his pieces. They're beautiful. You can see the rest of his art here.


I have no idea where this came from. I assume it was made on a computer, but it looks like permanent marker, which I am quite enamored with. Which is part of what I like so much about Meghann's artwork.


I also do not know where this came from or who the artist is. I saved it as "Cricksipper Turnip", which I know I wouldn't have come up with, so I assume that's the actual title. I like it because it looks like something from a Dr. Seuss book.


This came from Candykiller.com. The artwork is what I picture to be the lovechild of really old Looney Toons and Tim Burton.


"Mr. Lamprey, Gentleman", by my friend John Schulz. I had originally intended to purchase this painting from him for $200, but someone else snagged it out from under me. In the end, it worked out ok, because I still got one of his paintings, only even better, it was free (thank you Janelle!). "At Your Service" hangs proudly in my living room, and I love it just as much.



This was actually a tattoo idea, though I doubt I'll ever do it. I'm not even sure it would come out well considering how detailed it is.
"Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" are two of my favorite books of all time. This edition is from 1907, and is one of my favorite versions of the Alice illustrations. The artist is Arthur Rackham, and you can see the rest of the plates from the book here. I also really love the first edition Alice illustrations though, which were done by Sir John Tenniel.


Again, I don't know where I found this; I emailed it to myself from work.


This is by the same artist. I wish I had her hair. Desperately. I like the M.C. Escher quality these have as well.


Finally, "Get Up Mr. Blue". It's one of my very favorites. I don't actually know that that's the title, but I love him. No idea who the artist was. I like that because of the ink dots, Mr. Blue can be alive or dead. He's either got two eyes closed, or he can sort of be facing the viewer with small dot eyes open and a strange beaky mouth.

That's all for now...

2 comments:

Françoise de Fleur said...

Yes! I do the same thing... Also, links saved in the drafts folder of my email. I do so love the red-haired girlie. It's rather Narnia-meets-Queen-of-Hearts.

meg's thoughts return said...

Oooh I loooves the squidy one!