Thursday, July 10, 2008

43. Well, bother.

Around a month ago I applied for a very intriguing position with Nordstrom, in the accounting department. Not so much because I love accounting, but because I was hoping to make more money, enjoy the privacy of high walled cubicles, hopefully take advantage of the commuter bus, and wallow in the stellar employee discount. I had received an automated reply which said they were impressed with my resume and had forwarded it to the hiring manager. But after three weeks, I hadn't heard anything further. I emailed them to ask about it, and received my reply today.

A sorry, but we're not so interested as we originally claimed sort of reply.

I was really hoping for an interview, but then suddenly, in the past week or so, work has become less irritating to me. Which is funny, since I've been in a pretty unpleasant mood for days.

I do wish I made more money. But I am happy that I have a job which allows me to completely forget it exists the moment I walk out the door. I get along really well with my boss, I'm fantastic at what I do, and I'm not expected to work weekends or holidays. At least, not the important holidays. I carpool and have all my breaks with one of my very best friends, and I'm left alone to listen to my headphones while I work. Besides that, it's summer, and it's beautiful out. So I think for now, I'm pretty much fine with things the way they are.

2 comments:

Françoise de Fleur said...

Well, that's a bummer about N-strom. But I'm glad things seem to be less abrasive for you at work. (Why the unpleasant mood?) You're lucky in that you have a job that you can leave at work. I miss that. I'm finding that my job is slowly starting to become part of my identity in the community - is that good? bad? weird? cool? I'm not quite sure, really - and I'm trying my damnedest to not get too sucked in. Then again, it may be too late.

meg's thoughts return said...

I am glad that things are turning around at your job! Just think of how difficult it would be to not spend all of your money on clothes at the Nordstrom! My friend Maddie used to work at Anthropologie and she had to quit because it was preventing her from paying the bills.