Thursday, August 14, 2008

50. Well.

Riding is way harder than I remember. There are so many things to keep track of and so many body parts to try and coordinate at once, all while maintaining your balance so as not to fly off. It is much more complicated than ambling along on a western trail ride.

I am sweaty, dirty, I smell like a barn, and my thighs are going to be way sore tomorrow. Also, a random instructor yelled at me for squeezing my horse past another horse cross-tied in the stable corridor, because apparently they don't like each other.

I do not know the rules or who likes and doesn't like who. It was my first day.

My horse is an ex-racing Thoroughbred named Louie. He's dark bay and really pretty, but not terribly responsive to my kicking him in the sides repeatedly to get him to move. To be fair, it was pretty hot out, but I think he's somewhat on the lazy side. He has a pretty comical personality though. I definitely like him. He's very willing to hand me each of his feet while I pick them out, he likes attention, and after our ride he seemed pretty ecstatic that I hosed him down and squeegeed him. He stood in the shower area vigorously throwing his head up and down while I ran the water over him, just to let me know he was pleased.

It's going to be a really long time before I cease being embarrassingly awful. Also, I am older than my instructor, which was fairly awkward. But she's not bitchy and mean like the girl who yelled at me, and I think we get along well enough, so hopefully things will be more comfortable soon. I was feeling pretty disappointed with how much I suck on my way home, but now that I've had dinner I'm feeling a bit better. I think I look forward to next week.

2 comments:

Janieac said...

At least you're out there doing it, man. I'm so happy for you!!!

Foibles aside, it sounds like a really great time. :)

Françoise de Fleur said...

It's always hard trying to get back into something you used to do... I'm deathly afraid of going back to dancing, though I've been wanting to get back to it for quite some time now, for fear of pain pain pain forever and ever afterward. And the resulting disappointment in my physical (in)ability to do anything remotely graceful.

I'm very excited for you and your horsie. Things will only get better as you continue riding, I'm sure of it!