Tuesday, November 25, 2008

69. Doughball

On a whim this afternoon driving home, I stopped at the Indian market near my house to grab some yeast, dead set on making myself a beautiful pizza for dinner.

Unfortunately, I dove fists-first into my [rather satisfying] doughy kneadings without taking a moment to read over the full recipe. I'm 40 minutes into the first hour and a half long segment of rising, or resting, or whatever bakers refer to this as. Just as it'll be time to divide, pummel, and re-wrap for dough-yoga session two (only an hour that round), I have to be dashing out the door for my riding lesson.

This is why I am a poor chef.
No pizza for me today.

Fortunately, my Love is kind and willing to clean up after me. If everything freezes ok, we might at least get to have consolation prize pizza for tomorrow's dinner.

2 comments:

Janieac said...

Oh no!

My dough recipe is simple and, if the yeast is NOT dead (unlike in April when I made pizza for you guys), it works quite wonderfully, and only takes about an hour total for prep and cook time:

2 1/2 – 3 C All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 (1/4 oz) pkg Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast*
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 C very warm water (120 – 130 F)
2 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin preferred for flavor)

1. Blend yeast, sugar, salt, and 1 cup flour well. Add water and oil until moistened thoroughly; then mix at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Then by hand, stir in an additional 1 – 1 1/2 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.

2. On floured surface, knead in 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest in warm place for 10 minutes (I usually heat my oven to its lowest setting for a few minutes, then turn it off prior to letting the dough rest; gives it a warmer place to rise than just room temp).

3. Heat oven to 450F. Roll dough out into as large a circle as you'd like; place on lightly greased pizza pan or large cookie sheet. Pinch edge of dough to create rim; pick dough randomly with fork. Let rest 10 minutes. Prebake crust at 450F for 5 minutes. Remove crust from pan; place on wire cooling rack.

4. Top prebaked crust with sauce, toppings, then cheese. Place pizza directly on the rack or stone and bake at 450F for 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and toppings are heated


*Rapid Rise is important, not just the regular yeast.

Super Milk-Chan said...

Yay! Thanks dood. I knew your recipe was better than that one, but I went with quick and easy for my first attempt.

My yeast is not of the super fast action variety either...and it's HUGE. I swear, it's like a half lb bag. I could open a bakery, I have so much yeast.