Tuesday, February 24, 2009

90. The Purpose of Hibernating



This week my heart belongs to Bon Iver, the achingly beautiful creation of Justin Vernon. On the surface, his debut album "For Emma, Forever Ago" is whisper soft, almost fragile; but underneath lies such honesty and depth and sadness your soul nearly bursts at the sound.

Pitchfork Media has a really excellent article regarding the album's coming into existence, which I found both fascinating and inspiring. Most of the tracks were written and recorded when Vernon sequestered himself for several months at his father's cabin in northern Wisconsin. I often wish for the same sort of isolation in order to explore my creative bits. There never seems to be quite enough time to wander around in my own head and actually find whatever it is I'm looking for amongst all the muck...

Anyway, here's my very favorite track of the moment. I'd post the entire album from my playlist, but I'm afraid I'd be violating all sorts of file sharing laws or something.

Skinny Love - Bon Iver

No comments: