Wednesday, July 29, 2009

115. So Amazing

Alright, I know. I've been really heavy on the music postings lately, and I never intended this to be a strictly music driven blog. It was really supposed to be more of a container in which to put all my fragmented pieces as a way to try and make sense of them. But I have to share just one more. It's too incredible not to, and you're going to love it.

I realize I may soon be reaching Ayako-levels of music obsession...

I stopped by Pitchfork.Tv today, hoping that it still existed, because I always find good things to listen to there. I read some time ago that the site was shutting down in May or something, and I assumed it was gone. But there it was, and even better, Andrew Bird was spotlighting the home page.

This video is the first of five tracks posted, and you can watch the entire compilation by clicking here. I highly recommend watching the whole thing if you have the time. "Trials, Troubles, Tribulations" is a deeply resonating bluegrass track that does full justice to the cathedral in which he's performing, and you couldn't ask for better acoustics than this. But I think the song "Why" is definitely my favorite of the moment.

He just makes me smile. Especially in those stripey socks.



*Sorry about the pre-video ad, but it couldn't be helped. At least it's for a movie I'd kinda like to see.

4 comments:

Françoise de Fleur said...

I love it. Andrewwwww Birrrrd. Can't get enough of 'im. Especially Mysterious Productions of Eggs. I could never tire of that album.

My current obsessions are Grizzly Bear and Dirty Projectors. Both of their new(-ish) albums - Veckatimest (Beach Boys reminiscent loveliness) and Bitte Orca (four-part vocal harmonies galorrrrre), respectively - are WOW.

Janieac said...

Dude, that Asian girl is adorable. Wasn't she in Knocked Up?

I love Andrew Bird because not only is he an excellent musician; but he's proof that band dorks can make it in the music industry.

Grizzly Bear ... Ayako, isn't that an Animal Collective side project? I thought I'd love Animal Collective, but nothing of theirs clicked. I love the Beach Boys though. For real.

Super Milk-Chan said...

I think what I love most is that he is proof you CAN sing while playing a stringed instrument. There is hope for me afterall...provided I can scrounge up some guts to go with my awful skillz.

Pretty positive Grizzly Bear is not a side project, but I might be wrong. And I like Animal Collective, on occasion. I just don't love Animal Collective. They're backgroundy to me.

Janieac said...

Exactly, which is how I feel about Grizzly Bear. :-\