Tuesday, March 30, 2010

152. Analogue Girl

When I moved into my one bedroom apartment 2 1/2 months ago, I made the decision not to sign up for any sort of television service. I'm on a budget, and seeing as how I really don't watch much anyway, it didn't seem like there was much point. This didn't stop me from spending $380 on a flat screen 32" television, however. I should have just bought something off Craigslist, but at the time, it seemed that wall mounting a tv was really the only solution for my living room. Ironically, I lost my receipt shortly before I discovered that hanging a television over your fireplace is not a good idea if you intend to sit on the floor and play video games, as it will undoubtedly lead to a lot of neck pain.

So anyway, I've been experimenting with new ways to spend my time, now that I have freed myself of being a complete couch potato. At first, this involved a lot of drinking while obtaining and listening to music, or watching episodes of Lost on Hulu (which is virtually the same as being a couch potato, except with less commercials). And of course, I spend the majority of my free time texting this really fantastic blonde boy. But now that I feel like I've finally settled in to my apartment, I'm beginning to find better uses for my energies (except of course, the texting - I have no intention of cutting back on that). Recent projects have included the very tedious hyper-organizing of the photos stored on my laptop, the sending of postcards, and making crude doodles on every piece of notebook paper I find lying around.

I'm discovering I kind of like writing letters. Which I only started doing because I felt that I owed my brother quite a few, considering he's been writing me intermittently for nearly a year, whenever he isn't living with me. Unfortunately, this has led to the realization that my life is fairly uninteresting, and I find that I put off writing anything to anyone because I'm too bored with myself to bother. So my new plan is to begin fabricating complete and total lies for fun. Fictional letters, I guess.

What else...Photoshop still mystifies me for the most part. I need to do something about that. I've fallen in love with double exposures and want to try them (thanks Flickr, for reminding me!). I just need to order more film first. I'm also cooking a lot more, since eating like a bachelor over my sink is getting a little old. I'm perfecting my own version of curry, which is probably dangerous. It's not exactly healthy, and I could totally see myself eating it almost every day. And then the viola. I am slowly becoming more disciplined about practice. Because it's not that I don't like playing...I just have difficulty making myself do it for some reason.

No comments: