Saturday, April 24, 2010

157. Bread!

Lately I've become sort of cooking obsessed, which I think is due to a combination of being ridiculously bored, desperately in need of more creative outlets, and sick of eating turkey bratwurst over my sink like a bachelor.

Since I ended up spending my entire Saturday night baking a loaf of bread that came out not only tasting really great, but pretty easy on the eyes as well, I feel I have to show it off. I should apologize up front for the image quality, however. Food photographer, I am not. In fact, these are from my iPhone, and I realize they have a sort of stark, strictly functional feel that I'm not in love with. Still, you get the idea:





It's called a Challah Braid, though I left off the poppy seeds because I didn't have any. I found the recipe in this old Betty Crocker cookbook I've had forever. I didn't realize it at the time, but it turns out it's actually a traditional Jewish bread made for the Sabbath and holidays. Definitely going to have to make it again; it was delicious.

In other culinary news, I made hummus for the first time last night. Just an excuse to try out the swanky new 14 cup food processor I bought this weekend. I think I used just a little more oil than necessary, and it's a bit saltier than I would have liked, but not salty enough to ruin it by any means. And now I have homemade hummus with raw broccoli for my lunch. Eee!

Tonight I'm tackling pizza (again). I have yet to perfect my crust, but it is improving. The boyfriend and I made a pretty tasty pie while he was visiting, but we definitely used too much wheat flour. The crust was super dense and rigid and much too chewy. My fault. I'm thinking I'm going to give the crust from this recipe a try, but run it through the food processor instead of trying to stir the ingredients. There may be a picture to follow, we'll see.

No comments: