Tuesday, June 28, 2011

185. Summer in the City

It is nearly July, and so far, I'm surviving my first mid-western summer better than I expected.

The new apartment has a pretty massive balcony with morning sun, so the wizard and I begun to dabble in container gardening. My previous experiences in growing plants have not ended well. I always manage to kill whatever it is, and the one time I didn't, a squirrel did it for me. But this time things are going much better. Our basil and mint are out of control. We also have window boxes of cherry tomatoes, and a couple of pots sprouting cilantro.



To my delight, it's also been storming quite a bit. Here's the one that rained out Shakespeare in the Park last weekend...


It was too bad; the show was very funny, and we didn't even make it through the first act. But it was lots of fun having a picnic dinner in the park with wine, and ending up under a tarp hiding from hail.


Afterward we tagged along to the cast party, where we watched a room full of wet Shakespearean actors perform their favorite bits and pieces of the show over appetizers and beer.

The next day we rode our bikes down to watch the Pride parade and hang out with some friends at the park. It was hot-hot-hot and sweaty, but there was lemonade in the shade. And drag queens! Then it was home to make ourselves spring rolls for dinner. They were so easy! Why doesn't everyone eat homemade spring rolls all the time? It's beyond me.

I found the rice paper wrappers at our neighborhood international market for something like $3.00. Just a quick dip in warm water, and then you roll up whatever you like. Ours were full of rice, ginger/lime sauteed shrimp, green onion, grated carrots, beans sprouts and cilantro. I made a super quick dipping sauce out of chili paste, soy sauce, a little dijon mustard, and a bit of rice wine vinegar.

Next up: Plans for the 4th. I have a 3 day weekend!

1 comment:

Lexi-Lupa said...

GAH!! I finally get to see half of your face! Woohoo!!!! Man, I wish my life was as cool as yours.