Saturday, January 21, 2012

221. Party Time. Excellent!

People are coming!

We're entertaining some friends this evening. I have a glorious array of tasty snacks. There are veggies and homemade hummus, grapes, chex mix, pita chips, french bread, a cheese spread of brie, dill havarti, and sharp cheddar. There will be cocktails!

Preparing all these snacks had the added benefit of giving me the opportunity to take some pictures...


Hipstamatic finally released a food friendly add-on recently, The Loftus Pak, and I can't get enough of it.
Delicious, no? Look at these grapes!


It even works pretty well on non-food items. Like Frank! 
Hi Frank!


You can see more Loftus Love in my previous post on veggie burgers. It'll be getting lots more use in the future, I'm sure. At least until I figure out how to take an appetizing photo on my dslr, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

I can't leave this post all fluff. Here's a fantastic recipe for hummus. The credit for this version goes to my previous someone, who was kind enough to write it down for me because he knew it was one of my favorites. It's really easy to put together, and leaves plenty of room for experimentation. For a little variety, try roasting the garlic first, or adding extra garlic for spice. Crushed red pepper goes nicely, or you might try roasted red peppers. 

Taste-testing is important, because all of the seasonings can be adjusted. Go slowly. You can always add more, but you can't take them away once you've overdone it. And keep in mind that things like the garlic will become more intense with time. If you're serving it today, you may want to add extra garlic, but go with less if you're planning to refrigerate it overnight.

Ingredients: 
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic (I like to use more, myself)
  • 2 cans of garbanzo beans, one drained
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 2-3 Tbs Tahini
  • Salt, Pepper, and Cumin to taste
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
Peel garlic and chop in food processor. Add both cans of beans (one drained) and blend until reasonably smooth. 
Add lemon juice, lemon zest, tahini, salt, pepper, and cumin.
Blend and taste...correct seasoning as needed.
Slowly blend in olive oil until hummus becomes fragrant and has the desired consistency.

Voila!

No comments: