Sunday, February 5, 2012

235. Febs 5?

I didn't watch the superbowl. It's true.
The truth is that I could give a shit about football, and that makes me feel like there is fundamentally something deeply un-American about me.
I adore this holiday for the snacks, and that other people like it, but still. It doesn't make any sense.
I try, and I pay attention, and people talk, but still! Utterly lost.
Football has never been anything beyond background noise to me, and somehow, I feel bad about that. Why?
Who knows.
Mysteries of the game, I suppose.
People played, I ate pretzels and painted a something background on some canvas. What?
Sunday.
Sunday is here and not for long enough.
The math problems are just too hard.

3 comments:

Joshua De La Noco said...

Thank you for braving this topic. As an insane football fan I applaud you. I love the Super Bowl, but not the frill that surrounds it. I've always been a touch mystified by the people who watch, but don't like football.

It's turned into such a force that it's not cool to either like the Super Bowl soo much that you actually want to watch the game, but at the same time it's equally uncool to dislike football so much that you don't want to watch the game.

We're fastly approaching some weird world where the Super Bowl is this necessary party where no one is entirely sure why they're attending.

My idea:

Play the game first, maybe sometime in the early afternoon. Non-Stop, no commercials. Then, come in with the greatest post-game party ever with celebrity performances, live commercial adds, And a ritualistic shaming of the losing team. This can go all night and will be appropriate for all people who can take the middle finger flashing for brief milliseconds.

Super Milk-Chan said...

HA! I wholly endorse this idea. The thing that I do *kind of* enjoy, is that it has become a sort of holiday. I think that's why we non-fans watch. It's sort of like having a Memorial Day bbq in winter. Just an excuse to have a party and eat a lot of food.
I've also found that football does make excellent background noise. I like falling asleep to it on the couch almost as much as I like falling asleep to golf or the weather channel.

Joshua De La Noco said...

oh yeah. Even as a football fan I like falling asleep to football. It may have been one of the first reasons I started to really like watching.