Wednesday, February 8, 2012

238. Like a Boss

My boss is still on medical leave. This means I spent a lot of my day being productive...but not overly so. The problem on most days is that I'm actually too productive. I have a tendency to work really efficiently and quickly, so that I run out of work to do, and my boss rewards me by assigning me whatever mind-numbing busy work she can find until more real work piles up. This stresses me out, because I am constantly super busy. I never take breaks or a lunch. I eat at my desk, work work work, and escape as fast as I can.

When she isn't there, things are much more pleasant. I work at a leisurely pace, which I achieve by breaking up my tedium with distractions like surfing the internet (what little of it I can access), checking my homework or paying bills, texting people, playing with my camera, or doodling. Rather than my boss having to find me busy work because I have exhausted everything in my reach, I find myself busy work that actually serves a purpose, and which I do in the order I choose, not her. I am still extremely productive; in fact, I am actually more productive, yet I leave at the end of the day feeling relaxed, instead of like I want to stand on my desk and fire a machine gun at everyone in my office.

My point, is that I am happiest when I have a boss who trusts me to do what I am paid to do, and who understands that no human being was intended to sit at a desk and spend 8 straight hours doing tedious things. I believe that when your employer trusts you to manage your time as you see fit, more often than not, you're going to be a happier, more productive, more efficient employee. At least, that's how I see it. A person who takes 5 minutes to slack and play online does not have a poor work ethic. I think that it's a sign your brain is tired of the tedium, and needs a break. And I believe that people should be able to do this for 10 minutes an hour, because it will make the other 50 minutes of actual work more productive.

I'm not sure why I decided to talk about this today. I've just realized this week that I am 100% more satisfied with my job when my boss stays home instead of breathing down the back of my neck. For once, I can even stand to be pleasant to the co-worker I loathe, because I'm not stressed to the point of lasers shooting out of my eyes.

What a surprise, corporate America.

No comments: