Thursday, February 16, 2012

245. Oh My.

Plans. Have 'sploded.

First, I had a rather infuriating day at work, in which I discovered that I am quite possibly one of the very lowest paid people on my company's payroll. I realize that I don't have a degree, but based on my experience and skills they make no use of, I am fairly insulted.

I've hated my job for a long time, and this tells me for certain it's time to look for something else. I had planned to apply for a position within the company tonight, which supposedly pays about 10k more annually. But the website is down for maintenance.

Of course it is.

Second, my brother called.
He's engaged.

This probably seems quite reasonable, except that this is my brother. Who, if you have met him, ever, would most remember him for living in a van like a nomad in Alaska, with occasional excursions to Yosemite and the Southwest in search of more rocks to climb and photos to take. He doesn't stand still.

Anyway, he met a lovely girl. She's really fun and laid back, and has, I think, a master's degree in environmental science. She seems to complement him or round him out somehow, and he sounds really excited.

I'm very happy for him, but also now sort of panicked. He wants to get married at a courthouse in Alaska, in early June. I assume my family won't be able to go, but I feel like I definitely should. Not only for the wedding, but because it might be my only chance to visit Alaska in the foreseeable future. They're planning to move to Colorado in the fall, and I won't have any excuse to visit anymore. But mostly, because it's my brother's wedding, and no matter how small, that's quite monumental.

The bride-to-be has offered me a free round trip ticket, because she has one and it's going to expire. I should be delighted, except that I want the Wizard to come with me. Alaska is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, and I want to see it with him. But round trip tickets cost about $750, and I can tell that he's deeply put off by the price tag (reasonably so).
 We're planning to move at the beginning of May, and I was really excited to go to Chicago for the Color Run on June 1st. At the moment, I don't know what the exact wedding date is going to be, but I do know it's going to be quite a stretch to come up with airfare and a little extra to spend on food, etc, by then.

So I'm super excited for my brother, and I would LOVE a vacation. But it's very stressful and last minute, and I've got a lot of details to work out.

No comments: