Sunday, February 26, 2012

255. There Will Be a 10 Minute Intermission Between Parts I and II

Part I: Candy Coated Vomit
We just came home to discover Frank-dog got into the Wizard's candy sculpture supplies and consumed several medium sized Tootsie Rolls and Blow Pops (even the sticks) while we were out. So far, he's thrown up once, and I expect there's going to be more. It looked like it was mostly wrappers and undigested dog food from dinner. He's been drinking excessive amounts of water and pacing a lot whimpering to himself. I've seen dogs with chocolate poisoning before, and I'm worried about my pal, but I also know that this is also a dog who once consumed an entire bag of chocolate chip cookies without batting an eyelash.

Right now, it's 10pm, so my only option would be the 24 hour emergency clinic.

At this point, I'm watching him closely for signs of real distress. I'm hoping he just needs to puke it up, but I have a feeling that I'm in for a long night regardless.

Part II: Blood and Milestones
Went running today. I started off with a walk around the park, because I wasn't sure I was up for a run. As I got back to my car, I decided that I was, and took off again. The warm-up seemed to help substantially, which is something I very frequently disregard the importance of. I also remembered, finally, how to pace myself.

The plan was to finally run around the entire park without stopping, because it's been my goal for a while now. The weather was perfect, and I felt like I was in the right place mentally, so I decided to try.

I ran until my toes burned.
I ran until I couldn't feel my toes anymore.
I ran until my calf started cramping.
I ran until I got sort of queasy deep down in my stomach, and I could taste the veggie wrap I had for lunch.
I ran until I felt a pop in the back of my hip that made me worry I was steps away from seriously injuring myself.
And that was when I stopped.

I didn't make it all the way, unfortunately, but 3/4 of the way is pretty close. I felt like I recovered quickly, too. I was super proud of myself.

As I walked back to my car, I suddenly became very aware of my toes again. They were so tender I knew I had blisters. It wasn't until I got home and took my shoes off that I realized how bad they were. The bottom of my fourth toe on each foot had a MASSIVE blood blister on the bottom of it. Like, my toes were twice the size they should have been. There was also a smaller blood blister on the side of my left big toe. I spent half an hour draining them and trying to bandage them up so that I could put on shoes to leave the house. I can barely walk.


I have always gotten pretty awful blisters when I run. It's incredibly frustrating, especially on a day like today, because I feel that I am physically and mentally capable of running much greater distances, but I'm held back by my feet. I can't run more than three miles because of them. The part that's really bothering me is that now I'm getting blood blisters. I have no idea why, and it's never happened before this week. After Tuesday's run, I had a pretty big one on the sides of each of my big toes. Today it's my fourth toes.

I don't know what caused it or how to fix it. Should I be preparing my feet to run like a dancer would, taping my toes before I put on my running shoes?

Is my form wrong? I run on the balls of my feet, but that's because I thought you were supposed to. I've always read running on your heels puts undue stress on your knees. I've watched videos on proper running form, and I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to do.

So is it that my shoes are worn out? I know that they fit properly because I bought them from a running store where they watch you run and help you pick the perfect pair. I don't know how many miles I've put on them, but I suspect they're definitely ready to be replaced. They're 3 years old, but I only wear them to run or go for long walks.

Running is supposed to be hard, and you're supposed to have to push yourself, but I have never heard of anyone else having this problem. It's holding me back, and I really want to figure out a solution.

Epilogue:
It is now 11pm. There has been no further vomiting, and the pooch is resting quietly on his pillow. My fingers are crossed that he dispensed of the candies before they had time to cause any real problems.

2 comments:

Joshua De La Noco said...

Duude Frank Dog. I hope Little Man has come out okay today.

Awesome that you're running again, and... sucks that your toes disagree with that idea.
I was just about to recommend Fleet Feet for running shoes, but then you wrote that you went to get your running shoes from that type of place. Not sure about the toes...
Best guess is to go ahead and try the running shoe store again.

It could also be the time away from running. Maybe your toes just need to callous up a bit and then you'll be good.

Back when I first started on Capoeira I got blisters that were unbelievable. Several times I would get one that would literally cover my entire heel or the ball of my foot. I am not exaggerating. These would rip open and I would have a giant swath of raw bare skin hitting the ground. Sucked.

Then all of sudden I stopped getting blisters. Hopefully that will turn out to be your situation.
You had so much success running in the past that I suspect that is what is going on and once you callous up you'll be cool.

It is so damned frustrating when our bodies betray us.

Be well Homie.

Pitt said...

I have gotten huge blisters like that on my hands. DIY sans gloves.. I pretended I had the stigmata.