Tuesday, April 3, 2012

276. Movin' On Up

Yes, that was seriously a Jeffersons reference.

We've found a new apartment! So exciting!
We actually went to look at it on Saturday, but I wanted to wait until the application had been approved before making any announcements.

I have to qualify this by saying that I am in love with my current apartment, except that it has some very unpleasant features. Those amenities are as follows:

  • It is located in the ghetto.
  • There is a crack dealer who routinely sells drugs on the side of my house, sometimes as many as 6 times in a single day.
  • My downstairs neighbor is a slob whose belongings are strewn everywhere in the basement, so that we have almost no where to keep our stuff. 
  • My downstairs neighbor owns the two most asshole little dogs I have ever met. They rarely stop barking. 
  • The street which intersects mine (I live on a corner) looks to be residential, but is actually a major thoroughfare. People with crazy loud stereos like to drive 60 miles an hour down it. Also, large numbers of semi trucks pass my house during the wee hours of the morning, when I am trying to sleep.
  • The building next to mine is empty and boarded up. Stray cats and homeless people occasionally sleep there.
The new apartment is virtually the same shotgun-style layout as our current place, with the same amenities, only in a better neighborhood, and in walking distance to the best park in town, coffee shops, restaurants, bars, and the library. I will miss the exposed brick, but I am in love with the exceptional quantities of closet space we're gaining. It has a big deck overlooking what I find to be a prettier backyard, too. Plus, the basement is massive, and virtually empty. So much space for bicycles to live in!

So we're super pleased. The apartment is getting a dishwasher installed next week, and I think we get to sign the lease right after.

Cannot. Wait.

    1 comment:

    Joshua De La Noco said...

    Congratulations! Sounds like you're moving near my big brother's neighborhood. If you see a short hairy guy jogging or working on a community garden, scream "Benji!" If he doesn't flip you off or ignore you, you found him, actually... even if he does flip you off you still may have found him. Anyhoo, he does the still-art as well, if you are all near you should get together.