Friday, May 4, 2012

286. Tremendous Dynamite

Conclusion of a strange week.
Ok, maybe not so strange, but definitely long. Lots of training for my new job, meeting new people, learning new software. Coupled with trying to get a lot o' shit done for school...yeeaeaeaaeah. The end of the semester! Practically here. Just a few more days.

I made a new pal this week. His name is James, and he's been training me on all of this work-related stuff. James lives in Austin, TX, which probably automatically makes him cool. I don't know. I haven't been to Austin, but I would like to go there. All I know is that the kids who crawl out of that place seem so incredibly adjusted...it's a beautiful thing.

James likes the spoken word. Poetry. Helping under-privileged kids find their voice. James is also an actor, and yet he has no apparent ego. I like this about James. He headed home this evening, and I actually gave him my number so we can go see some spoken-word poetry nonsense the next time he's in StL.

I never give out my cell phone number. That should tell you something. James is solid.

The main point of this is this:
I love writing poetry. I do not do it often, and I do not do it enough to validate myself as a real poet. In fact, reading over my prior postings has me CRINGING at my lack of ability to rhyme. But at the same time, I feel passionately about the non-rhymy things I have written. Reading back over them, I am glad they exist, and I want to make more of them. 

So.
Goal.
Make at least one new poem while I'm off school in the next few weeks.
Doesn't matter, anything goes.
Only rule? NO. FUCKING. RHYMING.

No comments: