Monday, July 23, 2012

309. And, Time.

Summer class is in the bag...I just completed my last two quizzes and have sailed through Oral Comm with a high A. I'm relieved to have that one out of the way, considering how much I'd been dreading it and how easy it turned out to be. That leaves me a full month without any responsibilities other than working. Magnifique!

I've been running more lately, though not as much as I'd like. Dragging yourself out of bed at 6am most days is tough, but it's about the only way I can go during a heat wave that breeches 100 degrees almost daily.

I mentioned before that my form was all wrong, but I didn't really go into it much more than that, and I've been meaning to post links to the articles that helped me so much. As it turns out, I've been doing it wrong for YEARS. Ever since I started, around age 25 or so, I've always run on the balls of my feet. I thought it was bad for your heels to ever touch the ground, so I ran like I was sprinting up a hill all the time. No one ever corrected me, so I trudged miserably on, fighting blisters and shin splints and bruised toes, never breaking my record distance of 3 miles.

I still haven't exceeded 3 miles, but with the heat and having to retrain myself to run correctly, it's been a little like starting over. Yet it's only been a month, and already, I can feel an enormous difference. The biggest accomplishment has been going running twice in one day, or a run in the evening and going again the following morning. Before, I could never run more than every other day, but now I can go as often as I have the energy.

There's still a lot to learn, but these were an excellent place to start, and I hope they'll help someone else as much as they did me. 

Pronation Explained
The Perfect Form

No comments: