Friday, November 2, 2012

322. Never Enough [Time]

I want to be running. Instead, I am sitting in a cubicle. I ran this morning, but I guess it wasn't enough because I already want to go again. It was cold and dark, and it took me nearly an hour to drag myself out of bed. Now, it's sunny and 55 degrees. By the time I get home it will already be dark, and I will settle into my chair for the night with a pile of homework.
Sigh.

Yesterday I managed to get through the day's assignments at work, which allowed for another evening curled up on the couch with the Wizard watching various films while eating pasta and drinking wine.

For some reason, most of my neighborhood was without power when I got home, and I'm still in the dark as to why (ha). Fortunately for us, we were on the border of the outage. Our street had power, the next street over didn't. I decided to go on a wine run to the corner market, and found that every block between my house and the store was dark. People were wandering the streets with flashlights, and I had to wonder what New York and New Jersey must feel like this week. I've mostly been tracking the developments through Instagram and NPR, which makes for an interesting combination of journalism and first-hand account. My friend Tim lives in Hoboken, and has been uploading some particularly fascinating images of school buses wading down the street, and a woman and her two dogs being rescued via bulldozer.

Anyway, my corner store was open, and I spent a few minutes taking in the little bit of information Michael the clerk had gleaned from other customers stopping in. The cause of the outage remained a mystery, but I headed home with a fantastic red from Argentina. There are lots of reasons I love my neighborhood more than any other neighborhood I have ever lived in, but that store is probably in my top 5.

The Wizard was in the mood for more silent movies, but apparently there is no "silent film" genre on Netflix. After some discussion, we realized that he had never seen the Salvador Dali film Un Chien Andalou, which you might recognize from the lyrics of The Pixies' song Debaser. It's only 16 minutes long, so I thought I'd go ahead and post it for your viewing pleasure.


Dali hit the spot, and it was onto another guilty pleasure, samurai flicks. I caught sight of an Akira Kurosawa movie we had never heard of before, Ran (1985), and upon reading the description, we had to watch it. It's Kurosawa's take on Shakespeare's King Lear.



I'm guessing the version on Netflix has to have been remastered, because the film quality looks outstanding. The Wizard commented repeatedly that he thought it was pre-80's due to the foley work, but he might be more aurally perceptive than me. I thought it sounded on par with any other epic from the time, like Conan the Barbarian, or Red Sonia (which came out the same year).

The cast is full of entertaining characters, but Mieko Harada as Lady Kaede makes it. She's violent, calculating, revenge-hungry...I loved her. If you like samurai movies or just enjoy Shakespeare, it's worth a watch.

No comments: