Saturday, March 2, 2013

335. Heyho

Hey blogosphere.
I wish I could spend more time with you. Lately all I do is homework, real work, and mix cds for people who I owe mailings to. If you haven't gotten a mix yet, you're probably due, and I'll be getting to you sooner or later. It might take six months, sorry.

Today looked sort of like this...



The second photo is my mid-term assignment for Figure Drawing. I'm further along than this, but I spent about 5 hours on it I think...could've been more. It's due Thursday.

This leads me to my fiction post for today; Leda & the Swan. I wrote my first short story ever, and for a grade. The inspiration was this painting by Peter Paul Reubens, only I didn't know the story behind it when I selected it. My figure professor asked us to reproduce a Renaissance masterpiece, and I fell for this one. The name and image were engaging, and I found myself basing my first fiction assignment on it. It was only later that I bothered to research what the painting was about.
Leda & the Swan is a Greek myth, in which Zeus takes the form of a swan, and either rapes or seduces Leda.

Correct... That woman is procreating with a swan.

I spent some time freaking out about this realization. Not because I dislike mythology or because I'm not ok with the storyline...it's just that the myth isn't representative of my plot, and I had to consider altering the concept in light of this. The gist of it is that my story has an absent father-figure, and the swan is a catalyst that serves to bring the family together again in the father's absence. It's not the same, but I felt the two were inextricably linked somehow. Additionally, I became attached to the character of Leda, and I couldn't force her to be something she wasn't at that point, because my story would have imploded.


**Revision, 4/25/13** I've decided to remove the text of my story from the internet, because it is currently competing in a national competition, and whether it is any good or not, I want to protect my full works.

1 comment:

Lexi-Lupa said...

I love you and I love this and I love my mix cd's so very, very much. The drawing is lovely. Gorgeous rendering.

xx-Lexi