Thursday, April 25, 2013

340. This Work is Copyrighted

Originally, I had posted the fully revised text of one of my stories, but since then I've thought better of it and chosen to delete it. I also went back and removed the first draft versions of the two stories which I had originally posted. It's not really a big deal I guess, but I had this nagging feeling that I should protect my unpublished work, rather than giving it away on the internet for free. "Leda & the Swan' is currently competing in a national competition, and "Behind the Lines" has been submitted to my college literary magazine for possible publication. It isn't very practical to watermark a work of fiction, and neither story makes a lot of sense if I only post an excerpt.

It's weird, actually. This is the first time in my life I've ever written anything that I felt I should protect, unless we're talking private journal entries. Even now, I don't think they were truly good stories. But having invested hours upon hours in them, lost sleep over them, and revised them until I couldn't stand the sight of them anymore, I feel compelled to defend my rights to them.

In other writing related news, I got a response from the school newspaper today. The editor in chief wants to meet me and said I sound like a perfect fit. I'd make an ok Lois Lane, don't you think?

No comments: